Friday, March 27, 2009

Life Plans

Lots of people I know seem to be going through a stage in their life where they think about what the hell they are going to do with themselves. Since I'm approaching 20, and in the last year of my degree, I too have now begun to wonder what I'm going to do when I become a real person.

A number of ideas have crossed my mind. One is to stay at uni, and get a Masters degree. I could quite happily do that, but then I'd still have no idea what the fuck my degree is going to let me do. So while it gives me time to think, I don't think it's going to help overly in the long run.

Another option was move to Wellington. I thought that maybe my degree in Politics can land me some kind of job in the field (funny that), and what better place to do that than in the nation's capital. Not only that, but Wellington is just a fucking cool city. When I go I never want to leave.

Then the experience of Europe opened my eyes to something new. 2 places where I would consider moving: London, or learn French and live in Montmartre in Paris. There is a charm about both places, and it's so far removed from my former life, I think it would finally give me some space to grow up. I really like the idea, but then I isolate myself from all of my friends, which I don't like the thought of. I really like my friends.

Yet another option is to go to India for 6 months to a year. I'm going to do this at some point in my life, but I think that the sooner I do it, the more impact it will have on my life. I don't want to go there at 45, have a realisation, and then say, "Well fuck, I'm too old to do anything about it now". Fuck that.

The final option is to just give up. Give the fuck up on everything, work a shit job, and focus on making a career out of music. I like to envision myself getting my music out there, and making some kind of decent living off it. I don't want to be famous, per se, but just want to have the ability to live comfortably doing something I love. This is really the dream, and even if I do live like shit for the rest of my life, at least I'll be doing something that I love. Yet, parents and friends have opinions, and it will probably bring them great disappointment to find me living like a bum.

My attitude right now is fuck it. I've got at least a year to figure this out. Some options will eliminate themselves. Some I'll give up on. All I know is that I'm going to enjoy this year, because it's possibly the last time I'll get to enjoy being in the same circle of friends I have now.

1 comment:

someonefromsometime said...

hey lucas,

im sort of goin through a similar thing. i mean im 25 and just gona graduate. i switched career paths a few year back so that slowed me down. but really who cares.

my advice would be to just carpe diem the shit out of yourself until you figure something out.

good luck and i guess i'll be seeing you aroundish.
btw i liked your far away vlog on youtube.
later
SOFST