Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Electro.

I think I've figured out why I love electronic music so much.

I was discussing this with a good friend of mine the other day. What it seems to boil down to is a sense of detachment. Electronic music can't be created without technology. While you could argue that technology is made by man, unless you actually create the technology yourself, you can't claim to have done all of the work on the music yourself. You need some form of assistance. So you become somewhat separated from the music that you have made.

This ties into the drug culture of the music too. Things like MDMA produce a kind of out of body experience. It's a detachment from self, and a detachment from others. By putting yourself in this zone, you open the door to thinking about ethereal ideas.

Maybe I'm reaching to deep into this, but it seems to explain the feelings that I had when I first listened to electronically produced music. My mind felt opened up to a whole new world. This was experienced most profoundly when I discovered dubstep. From the moment I heard it, I was in love. It was so obscure, and was almost impossible to relate to, but whenever I hear it, I feel connected. I feel every move in the music, almost predicting where it should go next, and feeling a great sense of satisfaction when it does that, or when it tears down my expectations and goes somewhere else. Yet, there is nothing tying me to the music. I love this sense of connection through detachment.

I could write a whole philosophical discourse on this idea, but I'll leave it at that. I don't want to bore you. I'll just leave you with one of my favourite dubstep tracks of all time. If you don't like it, I don't mind. It's quite progressive, so it may seem a bit harsh on the ears.

Enough talking, more music:

No comments: